“Improve the lives of children and families”
“Improving the Odds for Kids”
CommitmentWe are committed to operating with passion, integrity, respect and teamwork.
RespectWe treat our fellow employees, our children, our families and our donors with dignity, professionalism and respect.
EmpowermentWe empower our employees to always make decisions in the best interest of our children and families, and we empower our children and families to improve their lives.
PassionWe passionately advocate for the needs and well-being of the children and families we serve.
Quality Improvement Summary
Stategic Plan Update
A timeline of significant events in Daniel’s history:
- 1884 Founded as Orphanage and Home for the Friendless
- 1891 Renamed Daniel Memorial Home for Children
- 1893 Daniel Memorial was incorporated as an agency.
- 1905 Daniel Memorial Home for Children moves to corner of Hubbard and Seventh Street.
- 1925 Charter member of the Jacksonville’s United Way
- 1928 State Welfare Board approved Daniel Memorial Home for Children to operate as a Child Care Institution.
- 1951 Daniel Memorial Home moved to 2500 block Riverside Avenue.
- 1953 A second home for boys was purchased on an adjoining lot.
- 1956 Foster care and family counseling services were added.
- 1968 Boys and girls cottages were built on ten acres on Belfort Road.
- 1973 Daniel Memorial Home became a residential treatment center.
- 1974 Dan Cook hired as president of Daniel Memorial Home.
- 1976 The word “Home” was dropped from the name to reflect a change in mission.
- 1979 A third 12-bed cottage was built on campus.
- 1981 The Therapeutic Foster Care program was implemented.
- 1982 The Therapeutic Group Home program (Mills House) was started.
- 1984 Daniel Memorial was accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations.
- 1985 Children from the Northeast Florida State Hospital were transferred to Daniel Memorial.
- 1986 Hillside Cottage constructed
- 1987 Independent Living Program started
- 1988 National conferences and catalog sales efforts launched.
- 1989 Daniel Memorial Institute, Hospital and Foundation were separately incorporated.
- 1992 Early Delinquency Intervention and Prevention program implemented.
- 1993 Community-based services in schools and housing projects developed.
- 1994 Statewide Adoption Information Center established.
- 1995 STARS, an employment agency for not-for-profits originated.
- 1995 The second Early Delinquency Intervention and Prevention program awarded.
- 1996 Youth Employment Services started.
- 1997 Daniel Payne Academy, a middle school for at-risk students, was launched.
- 1998 Daniel Memorial initiates a fund-raising and financial development program.
- 1999 Daniel Memorial, Inc. changes its name and tagline to “Daniel. Improving the odds for kids.”
- 2000 Jim Clark promoted to President/CEO.
- 2000 Daniel was awarded the first pilot Statewide Inpatient Psychiatric Program (SIPP) in the state of Florida.
- 2001 Board Member Beth Sumner-Wiggins announces and initiates the Sumner-Wiggins Challenge, an endowment scholarship fund for Daniel kids.
- 2001 Daniel starts the Children Uniting with Parents (CUP) program, focusing on building positive family relationships between inmates and their children.
- 2001 Inaugural Daniel golf tournament fund-raiser event.
- 2002 SIPP program that started at Daniel in 2000 as a pilot is replicated across the state of Florida.
- 2002 Daniel is accredited by Council on Accreditation.
- 2002 First Motorcycle fund-raiser
- 2002 Weaver Family Foundation Challenge initiated
- 2003 Daniel launches its Community-based Care Program to provide foster care and adoptive services. Can Do program is expanded into two more Duval County schools.
- 2003 JaxBuild, a program designed to help youth learn a construction trade while obtaining a GED, is launched.
- 2005 Launch of new Behavior Management program
- 2005 Episcopal High School partners with Daniel to host inaugural six-week summer camp for emotionally/behaviorally-challenged children.
- 2006 Launch of new Mentoring Program
- 2006 Launch of Juvenile Justice Prevention/Aftercare Program in Daytona, Jacksonville and Tampa.
- 2007 Board of trustees unanimously votes to renovate/remodel the Daniel Belfort Road campus.
- 2007 Daniel launches a building endowment fund to ensure future capital needs will be funded.
- 2008 Community Based Intervention Services (CBIS) is developed and launched in Clearwater, Florida.
- 2008 The Ladies Auxiliary Luncheon Fashion Show hosts Miss America 2008 and raises more than $50,000 for the campus Capital Campaign.
- 2009 Daniel celebrates 125th anniversary of service to kids with help of 125 local and national celebrities. Among those 125— Bryant Gumbel, Wayne and Delores Weaver.
- 2009 Glyn Cook Memorial Scholarship founded to honor former Daniel Chairman of the Board Glyn Cook. Jacksonville Backyard BBQ Championships created as an annual fund-raiser for the Scholarship designed to help Daniel kids fund college education.
- 2009 Inaugural Daniel black-tie Gala
- 2009 Daniel is named as the first recipient of the annual donation from the volunteers of The Players.
- 2010 Daniel breaks ground on first phase of Capital Campaign – a new education center at the Belfort Road campus, which will serve on-campus youth and community foster children.
- 2011 Daniel’s Clearwater location partners and moves into a brand new facility owned by the Salvation Army.
- 2012 Daniel celebrates the opening of the new 12,083 square foot Education Center at the Belfort Road campus.
- 2013 Daniel Academy, a private elementary school begins the inaugural year at the new Education Center
- 2014 Daniel Memorial, Inc. achieves national re-accreditation through the Council on Accreditation. The detailed review and analysis of Daniel’s programs and services as well as administrative practices resulted in full compliance of best practice standards.
- 2015 The Department of Children and Families renewed and expanded its contract with Daniel Memorial, Inc. To operate Florida’s Adoption Information Center for up to an additional 10 years as well as to create and operate a Statewide Independent Living Resource Center.
- 2016 Daniel opens a six-bed Respite Home program in partnership with Lutheran Services Florida (LSF) to provide respite for children with severe mental health and/or behavioral health issues. The short-term stay provides children with a structured, supportive environment and allows parents/caregivers a “respite” with the goal of reducing long-term removal of the child.
- 2017 Daniel begins offering Adult Mental Health services through funding by Lutheran Services of Florida. This program provides services to parents of children being served in the foster care system.
Daniel was chosen as the only agency to implement a “Post-Reunification” program to provide intensive in-home services and support for recently reunified families for the purpose of preventing re-entry into foster care. The pilot is the only one of its kind in Florida.
- 2018 Daniel Academy extends to the seventh grade. Daniel receives its four-year re-accreditation through the Council on Accreditation (COA). Mills House reopens as a therapeutic group home in July.
- 2018 Lesley Wells promoted to President
Quality Improvement Summary
Check back soon!
Stategic Plan Update