Approximately 10,000 Duval County children are abused, neglected or abandoned each year. That means every hour of every day a local child is being hurt.
There is a real face and a distinct, heartbreaking story that goes with each one of these kids. Some of these faces are scarred. Many have prematurely furrowed brows. Still others have an angry curl to their lips. Nearly all have a similar look in their eyes — a filmy look that hovers somewhere between defeat and indifference.
Becoming a force of change behind these young faces is what Daniel is all about. Daniel provides a supportive haven where these battered souls can heal. The therapy and life skills we teach help smooth their brows and tip their scowls toward smiles. Daniel is where the spark that belongs in all children’s eyes slowly rekindles.
Daniel serves more than 1,000 children and their families every day through a variety of innovative and nationally-recognized programs. Here is a sampling of the types of help we provide to community kids and families:
- In cases where children have severe emotional problems, often caused by abuse or neglect, our on-campus counseling and support services provide round-the-clock treatment.
- We treat many other children and families on an outpatient basis as well as provide therapeutic/behavioral strategy services within community schools.
- Daniel works regularly with foster children, connecting kids in crisis with specially-trained temporary families.
- Daniel also facilitates adoptions. In fact, Daniel responds to some 14,000 adoption related inquiries every year.
- Daniel even aids other child-services agencies across the country with educational products and conferences based on its successful programs.